[Interview starts at 41:32] This week my guest is Noelle Coley of Blackfoot River Outfitters in Missoula, Montana. Noelle is a serious wi
[Interview starts at 41:32]
This week my guest is Noelle Coley of Blackfoot River Outfitters in Missoula, Montana. Noelle is a serious winter fly fisher, with experience both in Colorado and Montana. She gives us great tips on flies, techniques, and of course dressing to keep warm. We can all benefit from her experience and have more fun—and stay more comfortable—while fishing in the depths of winter.
In the Fly Box, we have some interesting questions form listeners, including:
- What do you think about shaming on social media about how people handle fish?
- What should I do if I see someone spin fishing in an area that is clearly marked “Fly Fishing Only”?
- Will my 6-weight rod be enough for fishing for bonefish in the Florida Keys?
- Which rod should I use for swinging wet flies?
- What tips do you have for taming deer hair when tying Comparaduns?
- What should I do with a bunch of older fly rods that I no longer need?
- Can a dropper fly on a two-fly rig create problems with hooking trout?
- Why do fly fishers use such light tippet when conventional anglers can get away with using heavier line?
- What do you suggest for a natural material to replace Antron on an emerger shuck?
- I fish three nymphs on a rig. What’s a good strategy for replacing patterns if the ones I am using are not working?
- I have a 4-weight line and want to buy a fiberglass rod for fishing small streams. Should I get a 3-weight and overline the rod or stick to a 4-weight rod?
- What tips do you have for traveling with fly-fishing gear?
- I have an Encounter 5-weight rod and am just starting out. When will I know when it’s time to upgrade, and how much difference will an upgraded rod make?